пятница, 2 марта 2012 г.

EAFB MARINE OFFERS HIS THANKS

A thank-you note from a U.S. Marine:

While in the midst of an Iraqi deployment, it is a luxury to havesome time to reflect. Many Marines and soldiers are currently moredirectly engaged in the war on terrorism here and aren't affordedthis luxury.

I am a helicopter pilot who finds himself on a more secureAmerican base, not as immediately concerned with having to protectour squadron or our fellow Marines on a daily basis.

Therefore, this thank-you note comes from all of us, many of whomaren't afforded the time to ponder the amount of support we havereceived and continue to receive from the Americans we represent.

I have been very fortunate. Here in the middle of this oftentimeswindy, dusty and oppressively hot country, my family, friends andeven total strangers have been very thoughtful and have sent me somany things from home that let me know that I am loved.

Packages stuffed with trail mix, home-baked cookies, books,newspapers, magazines and, yes, even baby wipes brighten up even thelongest of days.

The thoughtfulness is overwhelming and I have been deeply touchedby the prayers, kind thoughts and support that I have receivedduring my time here. There always seems to be a thank-you note ofsome sort at the bottom of each box I open.

But it doesn't stop there. The love and support is also evidentin the media. Although the media's reports are as mixed as thevaried opinions that all Americans hold in regards to why we arehere in Iraq, the overriding theme I have sensed is one of support.

Thank-you letters and banners from elementary school classes,VFWs, Marine Leagues and other groups from the United Statesroutinely find their way to our squadron. The overall majority of"blog" sites and messages found on the Internet also send aresounding message of thanks to our service members over here.

Being on the receiving end of all the thanks and praise for ouroverseas efforts is a humbling experience.

A great part of me is happy to have the opportunity to help andmake a difference, to provide some stability as this countrystruggles with the challenges of developing a strong and effectivegovernment and to be able to look my children in the eye one day,discussing the importance of making sacrifices for the greater goodof our beloved country and way of life.

Another part of me longs for the day when I'll be able to hold myloved ones once again.

In considering all of those expressing their appreciation for ourservice in foreign lands, I could not remember ever seeing anypublicized messages from those of us whose honor it is to serve.

There are many American citizens who will never hear thegratitude that we as servicemen and women hold in our hearts for allthe support we consistently receive and have received throughout ourlives.

It is only fitting that those who remain back within Americanborders recognize that their contributions are extremely important,no matter if they have directly offered their support recently, andultimately, no matter what their personal views are regarding ourpresence here.

Lt. Col Brian Josten

Al Asad, Iraq

June 26, 2005

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий